Sweet Pea "Orzotto"
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 25 min.
Risotto and I have always had a love/hate relationship. I love it, it hates me when I try to cook it... So I decided to take the same technique and apply it to pasta. Orzo make this dish the cool, easy going cousin of risotto, and is almost foolproof to make.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat (6-7 out of 10)
- Dice shallots and sauté in oil until aromatic. (2-3 minutes)
- Add orzo pasta and toast. (1-2 minutes) Be sure to move the pasta so it is coated.
- Add white wine. Allow it to be absorbed by the pasta. (This should only take a minute or two)
- Slowly and gradually add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock. Pour in stages and stir pasta. Do not add more until stock has been almost completely absorbed. Pour in remaining 1 1/2 cups, cover, lower heat (4-5 out of 10) and cook until liquid is almost gone (8-10 minutes)
- Remove from heat.
- Work quickly to add peas, parmesan, heavy cream, zest, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- OPTIONAL: Top with shaved parmesan just before serving.
Sulli Says: This is a great vegetarian option, or you can top with a grilled shrimp or fish for protein. Either way, it's an easy faux risotto that packs deep layers of flavor into a simple dish. Prep well and you can be eating in 30 minutes.
Like this recipe? Have pictures of your success? Share in the comments below!